Win7 HP - Clean Install Guide

Hello everyone, I just thought of making a simple guide or rather sharing my personal experience of performing a clean install on Win7 on my HP laptop after reading several threads on here.

Laptop: HP Pavilion DV6-6050ee (2011)

So basically I lost the recovery partition or rather it must have gotten corrupted because the factory restore option got grayed out in the recovery menu. I did not have any recovery media either. So after a lot of reading the next step for me was to Download Win7 Home Premium SP1 x64 retail iso and then update it using the SimplixUpdater.

I got the Win7 iso from Digital River on Archive.org, replaced my original HDD with an SSD (crucial BX500), installed Win7 HomePrem SP1 x64 and updated it using SimplixUpdatePack. Also got the drivers updated using Drivebooster and some from the HP product page which could not be installed by Drivebooster. I have kept the windows update turned off, will update using Simplix whenever necessary. Also Windows was activated without any issues using the COA key at the bottom of the laptop which is what I was always concerned about. So this clears my doubt that you can use a retail copy of windows and activate it using the COA key, you dont specifically need to have the recovery image or COEM copy which is what I was searching for frantically before.

Laptop has got a new lease at life. Its now feels unbelievably fast when compared to booting from the HDD and with all the HP bloatware that it came with.

I have recently got my hands on a Refurbished Dell Latitude 5400 which has got Win10 on it. I am looking for a similar process to perform on this as well. Surprisingly it feels slower than my HP laptop. Its got i5-8365U, 16gigs of ram, nonbranded ssd.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:32 AM, CarbonLogic said:

Surprisingly it feels slower than my HP laptop.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:32 AM, CarbonLogic said:

nonbranded ssd

Good luck with that one.

Will probably be scary to look at its S.M.A.R.T and running a quick read speed test.